My name is John Taylor. In my case, I am a data scientist, manager,
I am a Manager of Analytics and Data Science at
My previous role was Senior Data Scientist. In that capacity, I am most proud of having designed and prototyped the core components of two new products. The first, a predictive scoring service. The second, original recognition methods resulting in a device-based authentication service. Prior to this, I was an analyst in a variety of forms (Data, Performance Management, and Systems).
I went to graduate school for Logic and Computation where I specialized in philosophy of science and formal epistemology. My undergraduate degrees are in philosophy and psychology, with a minor in computer information systems.
For more professional information, see my profile on LinkedIn.
What is this Site For?
This is a workspace to organize and clarify my thoughts. It is an aid in seeking
I plan to post bits of learning (book reviews, ruminations on my various interests), thoughts on well-being (mental, physical and otherwise), and work-related material (data science, machine learning, innovation, management, leadership, etc.)
- I grew up in the small foothill town of Columbia, CA.
- In my childhood, my family kept or rehabilitated a menagerie of animals which at various times included cats, dogs, rats, guinea pigs, hamsters, a potbellied pig, rabbits, chickens, goats, Large White pigs, horses, a donkey, two squirrels, a racoon, various fish, a desert tortoise, iguanas, rattlesnakes, kingsnakes, African scorpions, and a tarantula.
- During middle and high school I won two art contests and one creative writing contest, garnering a bit of money and a poster signed by Micheal J. Fox.
- From 15 to 18 years of age, I was a ward of the court.
- I have worked as a woodcutter, landscaper, fast-food worker, logic grader (this is where the site name comes from), tutor, website designer, computer lab manager, GIS surveyor, and information technician.
- I have native ancestry (through the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa) which I never know about until the Bureau of Indian Affairs contacted me in my mid-thirties.
- I have competed twice in Brazilian jiu-jitsu though I am something of a dilettante. I didn’t place the first time and got silver the second. I am currently a purple belt.